From Adana, I went to visit my great-aunt in Mersin, a sunny Mediterranean city, now nearing a population of 2 million.
Mersin was to play host to the Mediterrenean Games, with 24 countries participating, in the days after my visit to Mersin. I had timed my trip to Turkey so that I could go to the opening ceremonies, but whenever I checked for information online, it was hard to get details of events or dates. It turns out that the opening ceremonies were one day after I left. But even if I had wanted to, I would not have been able to get tickets to the opening ceremonies. After the riots broke out, the ruling political party bought out all the tickets to the opening ceremony, so as to not be embarrassed internationally by protesters...So, we all watched it on TV, instead.
There was a protester on stage though.....One of the singers of the Enbe Orkestra, that was performing, had a tattoo on his wrist, to support the resistance. I read that he was asked to leave the group after this performance. Sad... But I'm proud that he stood up for his views.
Back to Mersin. After a visit to my grandparents' grave, in the very peaceful Mersin cemetery, where Moslems and Christians lie peacefully side by side, I went to my great-aunt's home. She was waiting for me, as she is now alone and her health is deteriorating. I spent 3 days with her. We went to the hospital to get her tests done (she is having abdominal pain), and talked and talked. Mostly, I provided some companionship and moral support for her during these 3 days. Although she has someone to take care of her, she is lonely. I tried to do what I could in my short time there. I wish I could do more.
Well, the peaceful protests were going on in Mersin, too. Every night, at 9 pm, the pots and pans were clanging. And this time, for 30 minutes, accompanied by whistling and clapping. With gusto..:)
Mersin is such a sunny and modern city. But I realized how much history there is too. It is not a main tourism center yet, but has the potential. The outskirts are literally surrounded by Roman ruins. Nearby is the historical city of Tarsus, where St. Paul lived and where Cleopatra met Marc Anthony for a romantic rendezvous. Yes, folks, for real!! I went into the center of Mersin for a bit and walked around. More historical homes, from the 1940's... I hope they don't knock them down. The main bank in the center of town has an Ottoman façade. So much history here!
On the day that I was leaving, I had a lovely lunch with my friends' mother and her neighbor at the Mersin Tennis Club. I always ask residents of Mersin about the cultural activity there. What I am really asking is whether I could live there in my retirement. Would I get bored there? Apparently, these ladies are not bored. They said that there is always something to do and they go to gallery openings, foreign movies, gyms, etc... there are always festivals and no time to be bored. Well, that was encouraging to hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment